This page gives an overview of the major activities of MSF. Please follow the links for more details of individual programmes.
SAHAYOG - OUR SCHOOLS PROGRAMME
- Development of Curriculum and Lessons. With the support of NASSCOM,
we are engaged in a fifteen year project to redefine the mathematics curriculum and develop e-lessons and testing
- Test Engine. To generate exams of various kinds to help teachers and students in
quickly identifying the areas that require attention.
- Student Workshops. Highly interactive
workshops which enable the students to be active participants in the process of doing mathematics and thus create joy in
- Teacher Workshops. Discussions on
methods of problem-solving, mathematical software, key mathematical topics, sequencing of
topics, new ideas and developments, teaching methodologies, etc.
- Resource Centres. Year-long programme under which MSF faculty
regularly visit a school and help each child individually to appreciate
mathematics through a gentle yet graded approach.
- Help Line. Free help lines for students
appearing in the CBSE Board Examinations in Standards X and XII. Conducted by
phone and email, and also extended to call-in programmes on Doordarshan and NDTV.
- Math Labs. Aims at providing students with improved conceptualization through
integrating computer technology with various areas of mathematics.
- MSF Challenge. A team competition centered on exploring Mathematics through IT.
- Mathematical Finance. This pioneering programme
provides a unique window into the exciting world of modern Finance and its
interplay with Mathematics. Created in consultation with leading members of the
academic and corporate worlds. The special feature is the combining of
conceptual understanding with practical ability.
- Excel in Corporate Finance.
A 15-week online programme that teaches Corporate Finance via MS Excel. Invaluable for anyone seeking a career in the financial
sector, investment banks, insurance companies, etc.
- Excel in Options and Derivatives. Follow-up programme to Excel in Corporate Finance,
providing an introduction to the world of financial derivatives and their uses.
- Mathematical Simulations with I.T. A project-based introduction to the exciting
interactions between Mathematics, Technology and Education. It takes forward
one of the primary aims of the MSF: promoting exciting mathematics-based
activities that will take the student beyond the confines of the curriculum.
- From a Life of Mathematics. MSF invites leading mathematicians of the world to
lecture and interact with students and faculty. A striking aspect of this event is that students interact with
our visitors in an extremely informal manner --- over breakfasts, lunches and dinners; or during walks in the
city. Our visitors include Sir Michael Atiyah (Fields medalist, past
President of the Royal Society), Marie-Francoise
Roy (past President of the French Mathematical Society), M S
Narasimhan (King Faisal Prize), Henry Helson (Past Chair of the Dept of Mathematics, University of California, Berkeley),
Martin Golubitsky (Past President of SIAM),
Vitali Milman (Landau Prize), and
Peter Fillmore (Past President of the Canadian Mathematical Society).
- Nurture. Reading seminars involving college
students in diverse areas like Graph Theory, Game Theory, Group Actions,
Topological Groups, Econometrics, Optimization, Encryption, Image Recognition,
Spectral Theory for Compact Operators, Applications in Linear Algebra, Stellar
- Work & Learn. A summer internship programme that combines study and work,
with students learning computer and mathematical skills and employing them on
diverse projects ranging from image processing to education technology.
- We offer a graduate programme in collaboration
with the University of Houston,
Texas, USA, in the areas of Mathematics,
Physics, and Computer Science.
Students who successfully complete one year of studies with us are guaranteed
admission with full financial aid to
the graduate programme of the University of Houston. Over forty of our students
have reached Houston over the past 7 years.
TALKS, SEMINARS AND CONFERENCES
- Visitors. MSF has had many distinguished visitors. See the
- Mathematics in the Twentieth Century – in commemoration of
the birth centenary of Andre Weil. We conducted this international conference in 2006. It was
co-sponsored by the Embassy of France and had the academic support of the
French Mathematical Society. The conference featured distinguished
mathematicians from France, Canada, China, USA, Australia, Luxembourg, Italy,
Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi.
- Conference on Mathematics Education and Technology. A conference being organized by
Delhi Public School, R K Puram, in August 2008 with
the academic support of MSF.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- The faculty and students associated with MSF are actively involved in research in mathematics.
A research monograph, co-authored by a faculty member of the Foundation, has been recently published by Cambridge
University Press. Many research papers have been published in leading international journals.
INTERACTION WITH THE CORPORATE WORLD
- Training Programmes. MSF has created training modules for the corporate sector on
themes such as Excel in Finance, Excel in the Corporate World, Excel in Statistics, Business Statistics, etc.
- Consultancies. MSF has carried out various statistics and optimization based consultancies
for telemarketers, banks, and real estate investors.
- Internships. Many of our students have been placed as interns with corporate houses. While these students have gained hands-on experience of the usefulness of their course material, the corporate houses too have benefited from their innovative work.